Tuesday, November 9, 2010

This baby is just going to have to stay in me!

Wow, a month and no new post! Well I am due in 49 days! 49! Where did the time go!? I decided a few months ago that Josh and I were going to take the prenatal classes at the hospital so that we could be prepared for the big day and understand what was going to happen since this is the first! One of our friends (Nikki and Mike) are due about 9 days before us and are delivering at the same hospital so we all decided to take the class together. We went to the first class which was last week and learned about warning signs of prelabor and some other useful things. I thought "this is exactly what we need." Then before we leave the nurse teaching the class says "next week we will watch a video of women giving birth." Of course Josh freaks out and says there is no way he wants to watch that and I was thinking "no big deal. I watched my sister give birth and it wasn't that bad." So all week Josh was saying he didn't want to go because he didn't want to watch it.

Well last night we go to our class. We learn about the different medical equipment used in labor and delivery and about epidurals (yes please) and then she puts the video on.... At the beginning it says "The Miracle of Life" and it was produced by Brigham Young University. So I thought "they won't show too much because they are super conservative." WHATEVER! We had up close and personal views of (as my mother-in-law would say) she she's. But that wasn't the disturbing part to me! I was freaking out! I was getting hot and sick feeling and I was just thinking "I change my mind! I am not ready for this baby." Then of course there has to be one woman on the video who has a natural birth, makes no noises during her contractions, her and her husband just press foreheads together during them and then the freaking baby just falls out of her pretty much. Show off! Josh and Mike covered their eyes a lot but everyone must have thought I was fine because I just kept staring, little did they know I was in complete shock!

Then we leave and Josh says "that doesn't seem too bad." And I said "I wish this was you!!!!" I do! I can't do it! I am freaking out a little! I am already large so I keep imagining this monster head baby that I am going to have to birth! Oh geeze, it's going to happen whether I want it to or not huh? I am so sorry mom, I had no idea what you went through!

8 comments:

  1. Don't worry too much Dee. I can't say much as I felt the same way. I was really anxious about giving birth. And I am still anxious this second time around too. But your body knows what it is doing, not saying it is easy. But you will be so surprised how you get through it. And then somehow, someday you are willing to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the great thing is it will all be erased from your memory when you want to have another one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you said **she she's**!! That's like a swear word! lol You're too funny - I'm so glad you've embraced your crazy Knell side so much ;)

    YA so...lots of prayers, lots of faith, and lots of blessings, and you'll be GREAT! And you've got Josh who you KNOW will watch out for you, he'll be there the ENTIRE time! Deep breaths, and take it all in cause we're so lucky!! lol

    Just for the record I wish the men had to do it TOO!!!! They seem to have such a higher tolerance for pain - but seriously you will love and respect your body like never before afterwards! I should just call you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to talk to you about that class, we had to leave though. Well said! I couldn't agree with you more! After those videos I went in to panic mode. I shouldn't have looked when they showed the needle... I just keep telling myself babies are born everyday I'm going to be okay and the lord is watching out for us. That helps a little. Also a counsler in our ward told me when he set Mike and I apart for our callings to have Mike give me a comfort blessing when the contractions start.
    I'm glad were taking these classes together. How did the dr. visit go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry Dee, if you can run a marathon, you can birth a baby (and yes to the epidural!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just remember while I was in labor, looking at Ed and making him promise he would get snipped when we were done having kids. I was pretty sure he would do anything for me then. Don't worry, we all freak out a little no matter how many you have had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just remember to breath and don't fight it, that only makes it worse. You have to relax and it will be over and it will all be forgotten after you have that beautiful little boy in your arms. Then you will have to endure the pain of breast feeding, and that will last a couple of weeks, ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dee, (don't freak out, this is Allie on Rogers
    IPhone :) I have never seen the word "she she's"
    Written down before. Oh my gosh, I never
    Laughed so hard. We didn't have videos
    To watch in my day, just car crashes and I
    Wouldn't watch those either. The only thing
    That saved me for five different deliveries
    Was a PH blessing that I would always have
    Before going to the hosp. It calmed me asap.
    You can do this, you are not alone. We love you!

    ReplyDelete